Skip to main content

Recap 2011

Is it a bit late to recap 2011?
Anyway, I thought it's good to at least put down in words how 2011 had passed.

Career

  • Days in Company V almost drained all my energy both mentally and physically. Customers' expectations were overwhelming and I would applaud to myself being able to survive those days. Perhaps I was weak afterall?
  • Quit Company V to join Company H in April. Disappointed with Company V's management, I advance to another company with seemingly great potential for career growth. The first 2 months was great, I learnt really a lot from my superior. However 2 months later, due to company's financial problem ,we got late paychecks. That was the first time in my career life. My cash flow became all messed up. Matter became worse when my superior resigned from the company. My future seems in all dark at this point. I came to work with fear, seeing debt collectors banging tables at the guy next door which was the company's Purchaser. Colleagues leaving the company one by one, we had farewell lunch almost every week. Yes, it was this demotivating.
  • I was promoted to managerial level just after 4 months working in Company H. An accomplishment I think worthwhile for my stay here. But with this promotion, it also means I wont easily find a new job with same rank. I was really devastated when I went for a job interview, the interviewer criticized my portfolio. It did hurt deeply. Just when I thought I have no way out, a retired director suggested that I move on to another division in the company. I agreed, because the other division is a much successful one in comparison.
  • I moved to the new division with my team in November. At first was really tough to fit into this new working style and people groups. But my new boss, whom is the COO of the division, is really great in terms of leadership. He helps me a lot to fit in and finally now I see myself a part of this company. No more late paychecks now, I have a good superior and nice colleagues. Competitions are there, but it's positive competition, it does keep me motivated this time around.
  • I hope in 2012, my career path would be less rocky. I want to have more concentration on my personal life for now.
Personal Life

  • Year 2011 was quite bland in my personal life. I'm in a stable relationship, we do fight once a while but it was meant to understand and tolerate with each other better.
  • Celebrated 10 years courtship anniversary with my love.
  • Worth to mention, I bought my first Apple product - the iPhone 4. Ditching Nokia for good.
  • I curled my hair with Japanese perm. The results were good, I love the new look after years of straight long hair.
Travel

  • May 2011 - a short getaway to Hat Yai with Wilson and family. Spent really long hours on the road trip, quite an interesting one. Especially for Wilson on trying out the exotic food aka fried insects snacks.
  • May 2011 too - business trip to Shanghai on my own. A short trip but managed to roam around Shanghai by train and cab. Working with principals from UK and China, it was good experience to understand their work culture and behaviours.
  • August 2011 - bachelorette trip to Cherating with my best girlfriends from university, lovely trip and make me wonder how boring uni life would be without them. We post with each other on the beach with bikini on, well, our argument was, "when to wear bikini again, if not now?"
  • September 2011 - a short getaway to Lake Kenyir with my love. Took a long and fun road trip to the East Coast. Love the time we got to spend with each other, even though the lake and the resort not as good as expected.
Family


  • My brother graduated from university this year. I know it was tough but he made it through, am extremely proud of him.
  • Brother's girlfriend brought him a pug puppy. Ended the family in mess. We didn't hate the dog but we just can't tolerate the mess! Slowly by now we accepted the little puppy and tried to adapt him into our lives.
  • Mother went for working trip to Singapore for months, things at home were at mess.
That was how 2011 served me. Oh man, it was tough.

Popular posts from this blog

W.O.T.P.

10th of November 2012, the day we booked our first property together as husband and wife. It was indeed a huge milestone after we signed our ROM papers. This is a luxury condominium developed by Selangor Dredging Berhad and it's located at Bandar Tun Hussein Onn, Batu 9, Cheras Selatan. This is a very interesting development because it is situated on 8.9 acres of Freehold land with 4.2 acres of landscaped environment (Yes, half of the development is actually greenery!) The unit built-up range between 916 sq. ft. to 4,311 sq. ft. and sold for about RM450 - RM680 per square feet.  We bought a unit at Block C which is lowest block on the left. Location of W.O.T.P. with proposed MRT station few kilometers away.  The lovely greenery and facilities are really serene and awesome! Facilities: 50m lap pool Children’s wading pool Children outdoor play area Teen’s play area 2 nos. of indoor badminton courts Gym/ aerobic room Function hall by the pool (6 ban

What am I?

It has been some time since I last updated this blog. Heaps of stuff happened and I just had the time to pull a break and evaluate the events that happened to me in the past 1 month. I've changed my job, moving into sales line is not an easy decision to make. I was doubtful with myself until I really come on board. Perhaps it may be too soon to tell where I stand in this job, but I was really thankful that my current boss gave me an insight of myself. We had sessions to understand what are our temperament. This is something that govern what kind of job that fits us. Apparently I am an "Artisan" after few rounds of personality tests. An artisan loves freedom, leads by taking action, seeks to have impact and variation, needs appreciation, a risk taker, problem solver and an opportunist. When I read the full description bout what I am, I immediately understand why I felt in constraint and bored working in the manufacturing line. I am just not that type of person that falls i

Life

I'll be quarter a century old in a day. In a day's time my birthday would come, and most probably would just simply go. Didn't expect much this year, or maybe age has certain impact on me. I'll be 25 soon. This is so alarming scary, time just flew too fast. Everything changes. I looked like awfully nerdy 3 years ago when I was still in UPM. I've started working one year ago, this was the fastest one year in my life. Life has been so committed to work and work, I couldn't realise time flew across and here I am. Evaluating what I've done over the past 1 year. I've learnt many many things, both in life and in work. From an ordinary 2nd upper graduate to now a project engineer. Nothing big achieved but I felt contented, at least I'm working towards my goal. It's just kinda overwhelming to think back times, was so excited on the 1st day of kindy, was so nervous going into primary school compound, was so trilled to step into secondary school, was so c